Thursday, April 5, 2007

New Children's Bookstore in Detroit

This is not a typo.

Ladels is the new, adorable children's bookstore opening next to the original Eph McNally's in Corktown. The store's name, across the glass in purple script, has been taunting me for what seems like a year, but the shades are always drawn, the windows dark. While I was trying to prevent my 11-month-old from eating fistfuls of mulch at the park the other day, I spotted activity inside and immediately went knocking for info.

Here's what the owner--a delightful mother of a 5-year-old--had to say: "We should be opening in the next two weeks. I hope. Eventually, once we get everything in, we'll have vintage and wooden toys and both classic and new non-commercial books--none of that Dora or Diego stuff."

I nearly cried tears of joy.

She'll also be hosting two storytimes every day--one for the stay-at-home set in the a.m.; another, more advanced afternoon session for school-aged kids.

We'll let you know once it opens, so you can support Detroit's first children's bookstore.

No comments: