Friday, April 20, 2007

Belle Isle: Part One

Now that it's more than two degrees above freezing (and now I'm 90% sure that the winter's last snow is behind us), Belle Isle is quickly becoming my favorite kid-friendly Detroit spot to enjoy the spring sunshine. In addition to the beautiful skyline, the fountain (which has colored light and water shows beginning at dusk after Memorial Day), and the nature center, the giant playground in the middle is well worth a trip over to the island.


Actually, there are many playgrounds on Belle Isle, ranging from modern to old and creepy. But the best one is the big, new one right in the middle of the island. It has play structures that are appropriate for new walkers to pre-teens, and I love the soft, rubber surface underneath everything. It also has some unique play equipment that I haven't seen on many other playgrounds and that is difficult to describe: giant, round swings that remind me of tire swings without the hole to fall through, slides that have tiny rolling logs and look like conveyor belts, and a big, boat like structure that you can rock and pretend you're stuck at sea in the middle of a storm. It also has all of the traditional equipment that every playground should have: baby swings, big-kid swings, and plenty of slides, bridges, and monkey bars. Our daughter loves this playground so much that she calls Belle Isle: "Playground Island."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey girls, Liz sent me the link to this site this morning. I had heard from the grapevine you were starting something... this is great! Looking forward to reading more.

Is the bookstore open yet? And why oh why did the storytime Fridays end on April 27? Is there something else starting (now that my schedule would actually let me take my child on a Friday morning?)
-Courtney